September 5, 2010

Pohnpei

I made it!

After an eleven hour plane ride which stopped at three islands along the way, we landed in Pohnpei.  There are 31 new trainees in the group and we're called the Micro '77s or M '77s because we are the 77th Peace Corps group to come here.  We were met at the airport by the staff and a few M '75s with a huge banner and flowers.  It started pouring just after we landed, but apparently in Micronesia if it rains when you arrive it's a blessing.  That night we had an awesome welcome dinner with lots of tuna sashimi, bananas, breadfruit, and of course Bud Light.

We've been in Kolonia (the capital of Pohnpei) for two nights now, and have had time to meet with the Peace Corps staff, get some shots, and buy anything that we might have forgotten.  There's a Wallmart in town (yes, with two Ls) which is a grocery store that has a few other things as well.  The store has no affiliation with the Wal-Mart that I know and love, but I think they just put a huge "Wallmart" sign on the front to attract people. 

Yesterday I had the chance to go out to a bar with some of the current volunteers.  It was really nice to just hear them talk about the experiences and pick their brains a little.  They didn't tell me anything earth-shattering, but it was reassuring to hear that they were still having a good time.  Apparently, FSM is part of the US Postal System, so if you want to send me a letter, all you have to do is put a normal stamp on it and drop it in the mail.  If you want to send a package, flat-rate boxes are far and away the best method.

Today we are going to a small municipality on another part of the island (as per Peace Corps regulations, I can't say exactly where), where I will meet and move in with my host family.  I'm excited, but I'm also a little nervous.  I have no idea how much English my host family will speak, so I might be in for a lot of gesturing.  I will be living with them for the next five weeks until I get my permanent assignment.  I will almost definitely not have internet, so who knows when I'll be able to update this next.

I'm trying to make it through small accomplishments.  Plane ride and Kolonia: check.  Now I'm off to my next adventure...

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment